Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Bees on flowers.

First, an update regarding the inspection.  It was too cold this weekend to do an inspection.  I've delayed it until tomorrow, hoping that the weather will be warmer, if not sunnier.

As Konrad and I were walking the field this afternoon, we started to see bees on flowers.  So far, it is only the Dandelions that are blooming in the field.  Once we saw the bees on the Dandelions, it was hard to miss them.  I assume that they are "our" bees.

The pictures below are just from my iPhone 4S.  It was pretty neat to see, for the first time, our bees on flowers doing their business.

Worker bee on a Dandelion.  Click to enlarge.

A different worker bee on a different Dandelion.

My only worry is that I haven't yet added a second hive body.  If they are cramped for space, they might be more likely to abscond or swarm.  Either way, I would hate to be the main factor in limiting their colony growth.  So, unless the weather is absolutely terrible tomorrow, I'm going to get out there and do an inspection.  I'll replace the feeder pails and also add a hive body to each as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment