Sunday, May 26, 2013

Follow-up to second inspection, link to YouTube video.


Second inspection of Hive A and Hive B, Saturday, 5/18/13:
Unfortunately, the video of the second inspection of each hive has a great deal of wind noise.  It's pretty distracting, and in some spots you can't hear what I am saying at all.  Because I wanted to get the video uploaded, I'm going to leave the wind noise for now.

I'm wondering whether I need to consider some sort of wireless microphone.  When I made the mistake of wondering this out loud and within earshot of the powers-that-be, my idea was quickly and thoroughly shot down.  My videographer and "decider" is also--unfortunately--quite a Luddite.  She is irritated that she has to use anything more modern than an abacus to help me with my beekeeping.

So, I will trudge onward, without a wireless microphone...

Anyway, please feel free to visit Video 7 (It had to be broken up into Part 1 and Part 2, as it was > 15 minutes in length).  I will do my best to make the third inspection have less camera movement and less wind noise.  I expect to be without a videographer, so will likely have to use a tripod.

I also want to bring our old Canon camera out with me.  Perhaps I'll have it in a pocket of my beesuit or on a lanyard.  If I see something really interesting during the inspection, and I can't show it to the main camera well enough or safely, I can take some pictures of it with the older Canon and insert the photo(s) into the video.

I expect the third inspection to occur this coming weekend.  It will be around day 21, so I might be able to see workers emerging from their cells.  These will be the first daughters (and sons, in the case of the drones) of the hive's queen, so it will be interesting to see whether there is any variation in how the bees look.

The ~21-day inspection is planned for the Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment