Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bees arrive 5/4/2013.

The bees are coming to MN from CA, and they are expected to arrive today (Friday, May 3rd, 2013).  I could get them later today, but will probably wait until Saturday's scheduled pick-up time.

I have a video on YouTube that is, basically, an introduction to my hive and its components.  Clicking here should bring you to that video.

Something that I don't make clear in the video...  The depth of the "boxes" of the hive can be deep, medium, or shallow.  Many beekeepers use deeps for the brood-nest area.  In MN, to survive the winter, the bees ought to have three deep brood-nest boxes to themselves.  Above these, many beekeepers will use shallow boxes as the supers, the boxes that go above the bees's brood-nest from which the beekeeper can collect honey not needed by the hive.

I've decided to use medium boxes for everything.  The bees will need five of the mediums to about equal three deeps.  My supers will also be medium boxes.

I decided to do this so that all of my frames will be interchangeable (and the boxes, too).  If a hive needs extra honey for the winter, for example, I could take frames from the super and exchange them with frames from the brood-nest.

I hope to video tape the installation of the two packages of bees and to post it shortly after 5/4/2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment