Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Preparing for the 2016 beekeeping season.

It's been a while since I posted here.  Last year, I put out the top-bar hive (Hive Beta) and installed bees into it.  I also cleaned and put new bees into my two Langstroth hives (Hive A and Hive B).  They all seemed to do well, but I ended up combining medium hive bodies from Hive B to Hive A so that Hive A would survive the winter.  Hive Beta seemed to be behind, and I think it was due to me not much feeding syrup to them and the bees truly starting from scratch--an empty hive with no foundation or wax at all.

We put a thermometer into Hive A, and we could see that the bees were alive as recently as late-January of 2016.  In fact, on one day, the hive was in the high-90's when the ambient temperature in the area was well below freezing.

I have yet to check Hive A or Hive Beta.  I don't think that either survived, but I haven't had a chance to crack either of them open.  I did put straw bales around them this year, and that is a first for me.

Going forward, I'm going to move to deep hive bodies.  I only need to use three of them instead of the five mediums that I have been using.  They will be heavier, but easier to and track.

I just got word that the bees are coming Sunday, April 10, 2016.  I tried a guy who is closer than the place I was using in Stillwater, so we'll see how pick-up goes.

I need to get the hive bodies ready.  They are assembled, but I have to drill the holes, get the corks, prime them, and paint them.  I also have to assemble at least 20 frames for the deeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment